The Sunshine Award

sunshine-awardTime to celebrate! Geanie from the The Library Lady and Rosie Bear hasΒ nominated me for the Sunshine Award. This is a new award for me, so I’m super excited. And I love that it has sunshine in the name, because as most of you know I’m always cold, and now I have some extra sunshine to keep me warm πŸ™‚ Thanks Geanie!

To accept the award I must list 10 things about myself and then nominate other bloggers for the award.

First, my 10 things…

1. After college, I volunteered at the Denver Zoo. I chose to work with hoofstock which involved a lot of pooper scooping and hay hauling. It was probably the most physically exhausting work I’ve done, but I was able to eat like a football player (or teenage boy) and not gain a pound! And I got to know some overly friendly camels and hand feed a rhino.

2. One of my favorite things to do in the summer is take a trip to Water World, one of the top water parks in the country. This also burns a lot of calories because to go on any rides you have to haul yourself, and sometimes a large inner tube, up a mountain… fine a hill. And I really love the Voyage to the Center of the Earth ride. You and two of your closest friends get to slip and slide into a time of dinosaurs and watery thrills, with an animated Tyrannosaurus Rex and Brachiosaurus to greet you along the way.

3. I remember the first time I heard the song, American Pie. I was twelve (I think) and visiting family in Florida. We were staying in a Disney campground and one of the restaurants had live music. One night, the band played a cover of the song. Somehow I will remember that always. Random, huh?

4. For Halloween this year, my husband and I dressed as a clown and harlequin from a dark/night circus.

Costume

We don’t have great pics, but here is one of me.

Logan costume

And my hubby as a creepy clown. His hat has kind of a steampunk vibe to it. He’s with my cousin who’s dressed as a very lovely flamenco dancer.

5. The first (and only) time I was published in the Denver newspaper was when I was elementary school. Our assignment was to describe what we would make our Mothers for breakfast on Mother’s Day and why. My culinary skills not being the greatest at the time, I think she may have gotten toast…

6. When the song, Ice Ice Baby, came out by Vanilla Ice I memorized every word. And I still know it. The whole thing. Don’t get me started…

7. Some of my favorite scary movies are: Poltergeist, The Shining and Pet Sematary. Zelda is by far the scariest character in that movie.

8. In college, I thought it would be a good idea to take my roommate’s bunny outside to play. To be sure Buster didn’t get away, I got him a leash and tried to walk him around the yard. We didn’t get very far. Eventually we ditched the leash and just let him hop around the yard.

9. I like to craft. And sometimes I like to make my loved ones craft with me. We made these on Thanksgiving one year:

Turkey coasters

He he. It’s okay to laugh. They’re turkey coasters. It’s funny how they all turned out differently. My husband’s is the one with feet. My mom’s looks like it’s sporting the Canadian flag. Mine has the straight feathers and my cousin’s has the feathers that look like leaves. And yes, they really work as coasters.

10. In high school I got roped into participating in the Denver Parade of Lights, a holiday parade held in December. I was dressed as a piece of candy and had to carry this REALLY heavy sign. And it was cold.

And now, the other blogs I nominate for the award:Β

M. C. Dulac

Bre Faucheux

What Comes Next

How Do You Pronounce Eynon

Writer’s Cramp

b00kreader

Random Blog

Elaine Canham

Wake Up Your Luck

Okay, so here are the rules:Β

1. Use the Sunshine Award logo in the post.
2. Link to whoever nominated you.
3. Write ten pieces of information about yourself.
4. Nominate up to ten fellow bloggers, β€œwho positively and creatively inspire others in the blogosphere”.
5. Leave a comment on the nominees’ blogs to tell them of the award

Thanks and have fun!

33 thoughts on “The Sunshine Award

1. Bre Faucheux says:

Do you still live in Denver? I just moved from there recently. I loved Water World as well. That big water slide with the big innertubes with the T Rex was awesome!

Cute Halloween pictures.

My first publication was in a newspaper too. How cool. I was in elementary as well.

2. Logan Windram says:

To be accurate on #2 it should read:

“My husband carries the tubes up the hill”

I know from direct, exhausting experience.

Great memories, I remember them all fondly. Love your Halloween Costumes, very creepy to say the least and congrats on being nomiated for the Sunshine Award!

4. Tamara says:

Congrats on the award nomination! The comment about Buster bunny made me smile. He wasn’t too keen on that leash, but he sure did love hopping around the yard! πŸ™‚ He was a good bunny. Waterworld always makes me think of you; in fact, last time I was there was with you! It’s been way too long… I love the Thanksgiving coasters!! Will you get them out for use this year? How fun!!!

Thanks! I thought you would like the one about Buster. He was such a cutie!

We didn’t go to Waterworld this year, the first time we missed it in 6 years 😦

The coasters are pretty funny. We take them out every year, but we usually don’t use them as coasters. I was thinking about stringing them and hanging them like a garland under the ledge in our kitchen. We’ll see. We have pinecone turkeys that the family made too. Those are sitting on our window ledges πŸ™‚

Congratulations Jennifer! You certainly do light up the blogosphere!

Your craft things are amazing – love the little hat from last week and those coasters! Great design and colour!

Thank you. I appreciate your kind words and your continued support and encouragement πŸ™‚

I always look forward to your fiction pieces and your artwork, which are both wonderful and quite clever. So, I’m glad I was able to pass on the award!

The coasters were really fun because we made them as a family on Thanksgiving day. I want to say it wasn’t stressful, but of course we were short on time and my mom was getting frustrated trying to figure out how to assemble hers. But now, when I take them out of the box each year, they make me smile and even giggle a little bit.

6. b00kreader says:

I love scary movies, TV shows, and books. Pretty much anything that will make my heart race and me shout at the characters who can clearly not hear me, if you have seen the Conjuring you know what I’m talking about. Great factoids. Thank you so much for the nomination!

Your welcome. I love scary movies too, although sometimes I scare myself too much and I can’t sleep.

It’s fun yelling at people who can’t hear you. I hope that if I’m ever in a house that’s clearly haunted, I don’t hang out and make videos about it. I better be getting my butt out of there πŸ™‚

7. Oldest Daughter Redheaded Sister says:

Yay!! I learned so much about you! Stop Colaberate and listen, Ice US back with my brand new invention…lol. Me, too!

We used to take a day or two away from Boulder Canyon to go to Water World, Eliches and/or Lakeside (was that the name of the other amusement park?) It had the Chimpmonk ride. My grandma loved that ride… aww, I haven’t thought about that in years. Then we’d go to Casa Bonita and see Black Part while stuffing ourselves with food. (Way better back then, the 80s) Memory lane..thank you!! Congratulations!