Hey, Spiders Get Thirsty Too!

Image courtesy Sarah Dluogs via Flickr

Image courtesy Sarah Dluogs via Flickr

What’s that over there? On my nightstand. There’s something crawling. A creepy, crawling something. I toss my book to the side and leap out of bed. It’s a pincher bug, also known as an earwig. Yuck! For whatever reason these bugs really creep me out. I mean what are those pincher things on its behind for?

I scoop it up, throw it outside, and get back in bed. I try to forget about it, but my gaze keeps shifting from my book to the nightstand. Are there more? Where are they coming from? Why do these bugs keep bugging me?

The week prior, I awoke to the sensation of something crawling down my arm. Ew. I brushed it to the floor and went back to bed. I mean bugs are just a part of life, right? I drifted back to sleep, not thinking twice about my multi-legged visitor.

Two nights later, as the sun was rising, I felt it again–a bug crawling up my arm. My eyes popped open and I caught the offender. It was another pincher bug. I flicked it to the floor before it could crawl under my hoodie or make a dash for my ear canal. Next to me, my husband was un-phased. I swear they were just targeting me.

As bedtime grew near the following night, I wondered what awaited me. Was the earwig still scurrying around my side of the bed? And what did he want? Could I bargain with him? Was he reasonable?

I picked up my book and started to lose myself in the fictional world of wizards and warlocks. Then, out of the corner of my eye, I saw movement. There was something crawling on my nightstand. I expected to see the earwig, but instead found a spider.

Image courtesy of Jonathan Vail via Flickr.

OMG!! He looked just like this!
(Image courtesy of Jonathan Vail via Flickr)

Image courtesy of Sean MacEntee via Flickr

I’m just kidding. He looked more like this.
(Image courtesy of Sean MacEntee via Flickr)

He evaded my attempts at capture and hid under the cord of my lamp. Fine. I’ll keep reading my book.

And that’s what I did, with frequent (we’ll say every thirty seconds) turns of my head to monitor his whereabouts. On my sixth or seventh turn I lost him. I frantically searched the area and was about to give up when I saw him IN MY GLASS OF WATER. He had crawled almost halfway down, to the edge of the water. His front legs were splayed wide so that his face was just touching the surface. The arachnid was drinking my water. I swear. I blinked a few times and tilted my head to get a better view. Now I could see the surface of the water was moving. I assume from his… mouth? Tongue? I don’t know, I just know he was lapping up water.

Of course, I didn’t have my camera ready, so I’ve gone ahead and recreated the scene for you:

So, this is what my glass of water looked like.

A glass of water.

Image courtesy of Sean MacEntee via Flickr

Plus Mr. Spidey.
(Image courtesy of Sean MacEntee via Flickr)

Use your imagination here.

Looked just like this when he was drinking. Okay, okay, you have to use your imagination–it was the best I could do.

When he was finished, he nonchalantly turned around and crawled out of the glass. I tried to catch him, but he eluded me again, crawling behind the nightstand and into the dark, dust bunny filled world that I never see.

The next morning I Googled “spiders drinking water” to confirm that I wasn’t crazy. And yes, they do drink water. Then, I began to contemplate just how many times he had visited. Was he a regular? Did he and the pincher bug meet there often? Should I start charging by the sip or begin taking reservations?

Okay, so that was four nights in a two week timeframe where bugs lurked on my side of the bed.

I concluded it could be interpreted in two ways.

1. Like a dream, where bugs mean something is bugging you. Maybe I was worried about quitting my job and all of those anxieties were bugging me.

2. It had been really dry lately, so the bugs were just looking for a place to quench their thirst.

I decided to focus on number two. I removed the old water glasses that usually lingered on the nightstand and wiped away any condensation. When I got in bed that night I set a small paperback on top of my glass and slept easy. And guess what?? It seems to have worked. No creepy, crawly visitors since!

And if you want another side-splitting spider story check out The Library Lady and Rosie Bear’s post Night of the Tarantula

18 thoughts on “Hey, Spiders Get Thirsty Too!

I know. I usually freak out if a bug is one me. Otherwise, I try to remind myself that spiders usually eat all the other bugs, but it was still a little bizarre to see it in my water glass. And I was so shocked I just kept staring, like I was frozen…

1. Deep in Imagination says:

Bugs love my room too. Last night, a moth flew into my house and it went straight to my room. I had to smack him dead though.

It’s strange how they seem to target certain people. I try to remain calm and rationale about the whole thing. I’m pretty sure there’s not some sort of master bug plan where they all plot my demise. But who knows?

2. Marcy Blankenship says:

Girls and bugs, there is just something about them. But I agree, you are much braver than I am, especially with the pincher bugs, I have to kill those. That recreation is hysterical.

I feel like it’s kind of like the elephant and mouse thing. An elephant shouldn’t be afraid of mouse, it’s so much bigger. But the fact that something can crawl all over you… eek! And they’re usually pretty creepy looking. And Pincher bugs are one of the worst!!

3. natarunmore says:

Urhh.. I am not a fan of spiders either, I don’t want them near me especially when I’m sleeping! Hope they don’t come back.. and I’ll be keeping my water bottle a little farther away so thank you!

I know. Spiders are okay if they keep their distance. But when you think that they could be crawling on you at night. Yuck! And there’s that saying that you eat so many spiders a year in your sleep. I can’t really believe that’s true…

I am sure I am a bit older than you are, but during the 60s/early 70s – there was a black and white show–well I think it was black and white, but that is the only tv we had. Anyway, there was an episode of The Twilight Zone where earwigs were involved. Ever since then, I have had a huge problem with those ugly creepy crawlers, and they must die if I see them. -April

I do know the Twilight Zone! And I think it was black and white. The episode I really remember is the one where they are doing plastic surgery to fix the woman’s face and they’re going on and on about how hideous she is. Then they finally pan up to the doctors and they all have pig faces and she was really pretty. And then there’s the one where all the guy wants to do is read and then something happens to everyone on earth and he finally feels like he can read in peace and his glasses break.

I don’t remember the earwig one, were they crawling in people’s ears? But I’m sure it was creepy. There is just something so unsettling about the way those bugs look.

5. geanieroake says:

Great story, I love your pictures too. I just wrote a spider post too. (Not to blatently push my own blog, but if you get a minute check out Night of the Tarantula on mine.) I think it’s just that buggy time of year. Really enjoying your writing.

6. Vera Mark says:

Love it that apparently you never even considered squashing the creepy crawlies. It’s what most people would do (or have their husband / dad / partner do for them, after a lot of screaming and shrieking).